Historic 108 year old railroad depot was destroyed in a massive fire early this morning. Firefighters arrived to willow springs park around 2 45 a.m. and the building was already a total loss. The building was brought to Willow Springs Park in February of 2015 and it was one of the last three original downtown train stations in the city. No cause of the fire is known at this time the investigation is ongoing.
At 2:37 AM, the Long Beach Fire Department responded to reports of an unknown fire in the area of 27th Street and Atlantic Avenue. Based on numerous reports received with differing locations, the Los Angeles County Fire Department dispatched Engine 60 which is assigned to the fire station in Signal Hill. As Engine 7 investigated, it was determined that the fire was located at California Avenue and 27th Street in Willow Springs Park. Engine 7 arrived at 2:44 AM and their initial report on conditions indicated a single stand-alone structure fully involved with fire. Based on the size of the fire additional Fire Department resources were requested. Los Angeles County Engine 60 arrived shortly thereafter and provided additional support. Defensive operations were initiated and knockdown of the fire occurred at 3:24 AM. As additional details about the fire became available it was determined that the building destroyed by the blaze was the historic Southern Pacific Railroad Depot. There were no injuries associated with the fire, the cause of the fire remains under investigation.
The Depot, originally built in 1907 near Broadway and Pacific Avenue, was the sole survivor of the three railroad stations that once served Downtown Long Beach around the turn of the last century. It was relocated once before, in 1936, to the Public Service Yard on San Francisco Avenue near West Anaheim Street, where it served for many years as the City’s Material and Chemical Testing Laboratory before being used for storage.
The Depot was moved to the southwest corner of Willow Springs Park, near the site of former railroad tracks that had been used by the Los Angeles & Salt Lake Railroad.
The Depot was 66 feet long and 30 feet wide, and was built in the Mission Revival style.
The Depot was undergoing a multi-year restoration process prior to being re-opened to the public where it was intended to serve as a visitor center for Willow Springs Park.
This is a tragic loss for our City.
Photo courtesy of LBFD