COVID-19 City Update: 6.08
By the Numbers (Long Beach only):
- 2,273 total positive results
- 100 fatalities
- 83 people hospitalized
- Approximately 1,662 recovered (Please note that, for low-risk patients recovering at home, recovery data is self-reported)
- Data through 11:59 p.m. on June 6.
Details Regarding Fatalities:
- 77 are associated with long-term care facilities
- Two individuals were in their 40s, six individuals were in their 50s, 19 were in their 60s, 25 were in their 70s, 30 were in their 80s, and 18 were over 90 years old
- 55 individuals were men and 45 were women
- All individuals had underlying health conditions
- At this time, to avoid risk to patient privacy, no further details will be provided
Long-Term Care Facility Case Information:
- 630* positive cases have been confirmed at a total of 26 long-term care facilities (LTCF) in the city since the start of the pandemic. (see attachment)
- Twenty-six is a cumulative number; the Health Department is currently monitoring long-term care facilities with active cases. These cases include both facility residents and staff members (who may not be residents).
- Long Beach has a total of 71 LTCFs, including assisted living and skilled nursing, that are currently open and operating in the city.
- In line with the California Department of Public Health’s standard for listing skilled nursing facilities with positive cases, the City is listing facilities currently experiencing outbreaks (more than two cases of COVID-19) including counts for health care workers and residents.
*Due to a facility reporting error, a COVID-19 case was misreported, resulting in today’s adjusted case count (from 631 to 630).
Tracking the Curve:
- Information regarding positive cases, hospitalizations and demographic breakdown is available online at longbeach.gov/COVID19 and on the City’s digital dashboard, providing the most up-to-date information available (see attachment).
- Testing sites update:
- Veterans Memorial Stadium COVID-19 testing site reopens today, June 8; hours 3:00-5:00 p.m. daily
- Jordan High School COVID-19 testing site temporary hours will be 3 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. today, June 8 – Friday, June 12; closed Thursday, June 11
- Cabrillo High School testing site will be closed Wednesday, June 10 – Friday, June 12
- At 3 p.m. today, there will be a news briefing with Mayor Garcia, Long Beach Health and Human Services Director Kelly Colopy and a Spanish-language translator from the Health Department. The briefing will be livestreamed on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram @LongBeachCity and on YouTube @LongBeachCityCA.
- The City is aware that the State has made announcements related to new health guidelines. Our Health Department is reviewing these updates as well as our local health data and we will have additional announcements soon.
Orders of the Health Officer:
- Latest version of “Safer at Home” Order (5/29)
- Amendments to the Self-Isolation and Quarantine orders requiring individuals with COVID-19 to self-isolate, and those at risk to self-quarantine (5/8)
- An additional health order further protects those living in congregate health facilities (4/15)
Past News Releases:
- To view COVID-19-related news releases, visit the City Press Release Archive. Releases include information about economic relief, help for people experiencing homelessness and updates regarding City operations.
Joint Information Center:
- The Joint Information Center (JIC) remains open during normal business hours, seven days a week: 562.570.NEWS (6397) or email@example.com.
Important Public Safety Announcements:
- The City urges people to remain calm. Follow @LongBeachCity on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and visit longbeach.gov/COVID19 for guidance. Sign up for Alert Long Beach to receive emergency notifications.
- Long Beach Police and Fire Departments remain fully committed to the ongoing City efforts to ensure the safety and health of its community members.
Who To Call & Additional Resources:
- Up-To-Date Local Information on COVID-19: longbeach.gov/COVID19 and @LongBeachCity on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. Highlights can be found using the hashtag #COVID19LongBeach.
- Media Inquiries: 562.570.NEWS (6397) or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Business Information Line (normal business hours): 562.570.4BIZ (4249)
- Public Information Line (normal business hours): 562.570.INFO (4636)
- Health Providers:
- Normal hours: 562.570.4302
- After hours emergency only: 562.500.5537
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: cdc.gov/COVID19
- Ready.gov: ready.gov/pandemic
- Port of Long Beach COVID-19 Information: polb.com/business/covid-19-information/#covid-19-overview