By the Numbers (Long Beach only):
- 332 positive results, including 48 Long Beach residents who are hospitalized and approximately 140* cases where people have recovered.
- 69 positive cases have been confirmed at six long-term care facilities in Long Beach. These 69 cases include both facility residents and staff members (who may not be Long Beach residents).
- One more death has been reported, bringing the total to ten. The individual was a woman in her 70s, with underlying health conditions.
- Details re: fatalities
- All had underlying health conditions
- Of the ten, seven are associated with long-term care facilities
- Two victims were in their 50s, two were in their 60s, one was in their 70s, and five were over 80 years old
- Three victims were men and seven were women
- At this time, to avoid risk to patient privacy, no further details will be provided
*Please note that, for low-risk patients recovering at home, recovery data is self-reported. The City will update this number to the best of its ability, but can only provide an approximate total.
Tracking the Curve:
- A City analyst has been assigned to work on data to enable the Health Department’s Communicable Disease Control Program (CDCP) to focus on outbreak response. This work is currently in progress and will result in the launch to launch a new data dashboard. Thanks for bearing with us as we continue to work on giving you the best, and most complete, data possible.
- The “Safer at Home” Order has been amended. The April 10 amendment includes requirements for stronger protections at essential businesses to ensure the safety of employees and patrons.
- To ensure compliance, the Long Beach Police Department will increase enforcement methods for the “Safer at Home” Order. Violation of the Order is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not less than $50 nor more than $1,000, or by imprisonment for a term of not more than 90 days, or by both.
- All Long Beach parks, including open spaces, will be closed on Easter Sunday, April 12, to prevent the spread of COVID-19. City sports facilities and beaches were closed last month in accordance with the “Safer at Home” Order. The closure includes spaces for passive recreational activities and active uses such as walking, running and biking. Please observe closure signage posted at all parks.
Rapid Assessment Clinic Reminder:
- The rapid assessment clinic located at the Long Beach City College Pacific Coast Campus will operate from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Sunday, April 12, with limited hours in observance of the Easter holiday.
Safer at Home Order:
- Latest version of“Safer at Home” Order (4/10)
- Two Health Orders are in effect requiring individuals with COVID-19 to self-isolate, and those at risk to self-quarantine (4/01)
Past News Releases:
- To view past COVID-19-related press releases, visit the City Press Release Archive. Releases include information about economic relief, help for people experiencing homelessness and updates regarding City operations.
Joint Information Center:
- The Joint Information Center (JIC) remains open during normal business hours, seven days a week: 562.570.NEWS (6397) or JIC@longbeach.gov.
Important Public Safety Announcements:
- The City urges people to remain calm. Follow @LongBeachCity on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and visit longbeach.gov/COVID19 for guidance. Sign up for Alert Long Beach to receive emergency notifications.
- Long Beach Police and Fire Departments remain fully committed to the ongoing City efforts to ensure the safety and health of its community members.
- The Long Beach Board of Water Commissioners approved enforcement of the City’s March 28 Health Order to, as a last resort, shut off water service to non-essential businesses operating in violation of the health order.
Who To Call & Additional Resources:
- Up-To-Date Local Information on COVID-19: longbeach.gov/COVID19 and @LongBeachCity on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. Highlights can be found using the hashtag #COVID19LongBeach.
- Media Inquiries: 562.570.NEWS (6397) or JIC@longbeach.gov
- Business Information Line (normal business hours): 562.570.4BIZ (4249)
- Public Information Line (normal business hours): 562.570.INFO (4636)
- Health Providers:
- Normal hours: 562.570.4302
- After hours emergency only: 562.500.5537
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: cdc.gov/COVID19
- Ready.gov: ready.gov/pandemic
- Port of Long Beach COVID-19 information: polb.com/business/covid-19-information/#covid-19-overview