By the Numbers (Long Beach only):
- 709 total positive results
- 36 fatalities
- 54 people hospitalized
- Approximately 424 recovered (Please note that, for low-risk patients recovering at home, recovery data is self-reported.)
Details Regarding Fatalities:
- All had underlying health conditions
- 30 are associated with long-term care facilities
- Three individuals were in their 50s, seven were in their 60s, three were in their 70s and 23 were over 80 years old
- 17 individuals were men and 19 were women
- At this time, to avoid risk to patient privacy, no further details will be provided
Long-Term Care Facility Case Information:
- 210 positive cases have been confirmed at a total of 18 long-term care facilities in the city, since the beginning of the pandemic (18 is a cumulative number; the Long Beach Health and Human Services Department is currently monitoring 11 long-term care facilities with active cases). These cases include both facility residents and staff members (who may not be Long Beach residents).
- In line with the California Department of Public Health’s standard for listing skilled nursing facilities with positive cases, the City is listing facilities currently experiencing outbreaks (of over 2 cases of COVID-19) including counts for health care workers and residents (see attached)
Tracking the Curve:
- Today’s information regarding positive cases, hospitalizations, and demographic breakdown is available online at longbeach.gov/COVID19 and in the City’s data dashboard (attached), providing the most up-to-date information available.
- A person experiencing homelessness who tested positive for COVID-19 visited the City’s Winter Shelter in North Long Beach last week. The individual, an adult male, exhibited symptoms of COVID-19 during the shelter’s intake procedures and was subsequently transported to a Los Angeles County hospital where he was tested and is currently recovering in stable condition. All individuals who had direct exposure to the individual are being tested as a precaution. This case is included in Los Angeles County statistics, not Long Beach. Correction notice: The referenced shelter is in North Long Beach, not West Long Beach as stated yesterday.
- Mayor Robert Garcia and City Health Officer Dr. Anissa Davis will provide the latest COVID-19 updates during a livestream briefing today at 3 p.m. View it on the City’s Facebook, Twitter and Instagram pages at @LongBeachCity.
- An additional drive-through COVID-19 testing site opens today at Long Beach City College’s Veterans Memorial Stadium, located at 5000 E. Lew Davis St. It is open seven days a week from 3 to 6 p.m. Read more.
- Now, all frontline essential workers, both symptomatic and asymptomatic, can receive free COVID-19 testing at three Long Beach testing locations. Read more.
Safer at Home Order:
- An additional health order further protects older adults (4/15)
- Latest version of“Safer at Home” Order (4/10)
- Two additional Health Orders are in effect requiring individuals with COVID-19 to self-isolate, and those at risk to self-quarantine (4/1)
Past News Releases:
- To view COVID-19-related news releases, visit the City Press Release Archive. Releases include information about economic relief, help for people experiencing homelessness and updates regarding City operations.
Joint Information Center:
- The Joint Information Center (JIC) remains open during normal business hours, seven days a week: 562.570.NEWS (6397) or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Important Public Safety Announcements:
- The City urges people to remain calm. Follow @LongBeachCity on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and visit longbeach.gov/COVID19 for guidance. Sign up for Alert Long Beach to receive emergency notifications.
- Long Beach Police and Fire Departments remain fully committed to the ongoing City efforts to ensure the safety and health of its community members.
Who To Call & Additional Resources:
- Up-To-Date Local Information on COVID-19: longbeach.gov/COVID19 and @LongBeachCity on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. Highlights can be found using the hashtag #COVID19LongBeach.
- Media Inquiries: 562.570.NEWS (6397) or email@example.com
- Business Information Line (normal business hours): 562.570.4BIZ (4249)
- Public Information Line (normal business hours): 562.570.INFO (4636)
- Health Providers:
- Normal hours: 562.570.4302
- After hours emergency only: 562.500.5537
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: cdc.gov/COVID19
- Ready.gov: ready.gov/pandemic
- Port of Long Beach COVID-19 Information: polb.com/business/covid-19-information/#covid-19-overview