LONG BEACH, CA – On March 10, at approximately 7:16 p.m., officers were dispatched to multiple reports of shootings, carjackings, and a kidnapping, which led to a hostage situation and the suspect sustaining self-inflicted gunshot wounds.
At approximately 7:16 p.m., officers were dispatched to a shooting in the 200 block of E. 57th Street. Through their investigation, detectives have determined one suspect was responsible for the following incidents, which occurred during a fifteen-minute time period:
- A shooting in the 200 block of E. 57th Street in which the suspect shot a male adult victim. The victim sustained gunshot wounds to the upper body and was transported to the hospital by Long Beach Fire where he remains in stable condition.
- A shooting and carjacking in the 200 block of E. 57th Street, in which the suspect shot at a female adult victim, who was not struck by gunfire. The suspect proceeded to carjack her vehicle and attempted to flee the area, however, the vehicle shut off and the suspect was unable to use the vehicle.
- A shooting in the 80 block of E. 55th Street in which the suspect shot a male adult victim in the upper body. The victim was transported to a local hospital by Long Beach Fire in stable condition.
- A carjacking and shooting in the 100 block of E. 55th Street, in which the suspect pointed a firearm at a female adult victim and got in her vehicle while she was still inside. During the carjacking, the suspect shot a male adult bystander, who sustained a graze wound to the upper body. The male shooting victim self-transported to a local hospital.
- The suspect then kidnapped the female adult carjacking victim, forcing her to drive her car with him as passenger away from the area.
Officers and detectives quickly responded to each incident and began investigating. Through their investigation, detectives were able to identify the location of the suspect at a church in the 21600 block of Alameda Street in the City of Carson.
At approximately 8:30 p.m., officers and detectives responded to the City of Carson and determined the suspect was inside the church with the carjacking victim and several additional adults, who each had a relationship with the suspect. Officers established a perimeter and SWAT was activated.
While SWAT was on-scene, the female carjacking victim was able to leave the building, physically unharmed.
A hostage negotiator attempted to make telephonic contact with the suspect and negotiate his peaceful surrender. While attempting to de-escalate the situation, SWAT personnel heard gunshots. SWAT entered the building and located the suspect with self-inflicted gunshot wounds to the upper and lower body, and SWAT paramedics immediately began to render aid. LA County Fire transported the suspect to a local hospital where he was pronounced deceased.
The additional adults were located by SWAT inside the church, unharmed.
The suspect has been identified as a 29-year-old resident of Long Beach.
The motive for all incidents remains under investigation.
No officers fired shots.
Trauma Intervention Program (TIP) volunteers responded to the scene and provided emotional support to the kidnapping victim and the additional adults who were inside the church.
The Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office was notified of the incident.
Anyone with information regarding the incident is urged to contact LBPD Homicide Detectives Donald Collier or Leticia Gamboa at (562) 570-7244. Anonymous tips may be submitted through “LA Crime Stoppers” by calling 800-222-TIPS (8477), downloading the “P3 Tips” app to your smartphone (available at the Apple app store or Google Play), or by visiting www.lacrimestoppers.org.